Salve · Willkommen · Welcome

Resources for the Historical European Martial Arts (HEMA) student, with a particular focus on the ars gladiatoris of Paulus Hector Mair.

Friday, July 20, 2012

ARMA Deputy Director resigns!

Unsurprisingly, there has been another massive upheaval within ARMA's ranks. John Clements' most recent protege, Aaron Pynenberg, resigned last week for all-too-familiar reasons. My sources tell me that a number of senior ARMA members (including those few who had stayed after the 2009 schism) left with him.

On Tuesday, Aaron bravely made a public apology to those of us who left in 2009 (and were subsequently defamed and demonized by Clements). He writes:

After serving in ARMA for many years, I turned in my resignation a week ago or so. I was ARMA's Provost and Deputy Director since taking over for Jake Norwood. When he and some of you left I acted like a total ass, and instead of taking a breather and actually listening to what many of you said, I dismissed it as many of the things I was being told it was.

Now- I know better and after witnessing it with my own eyes and ears and brain, learned the sad truth of it all. Why on Earth someone thinks and acts that way is beyond even my extensive working expirence. I had no idea it could be that way.

So, to the ex-members of ARMA who left when Jake did, I humbly apologize for supporting the wrong side. It's obvious to me now that I was eye deep in something that was hateful and full of spite. I wish I had the fortitude to have understood it at the time, but as you all know I was too self-absorbed.

Apology accepted, and welcome to the greater HEMA community!

No comments: